Veterans Preferred - Operations Director
Company: American Water
Posted on: November 16, 2021
Military Veterans are Encouraged to Apply. Diversity of
backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our
culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where
differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and
included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest
and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and
wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000
dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based
drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million
people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean,
affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help
make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit
amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter , Facebook and
California American Water is seeking their next operational leader
to drive finances, environmental compliance, and safety performance
in our Southern California region. As the Director of Operations,
you will oversee our Imperial Beach, Rosemead, and Ventura
districts. Reporting to the VP of Operations, you will implement
capital budget spend, make sure maintenance items are completed and
operations are within compliance. The ideal candidate will be
deadline driven, can connect with teams as a leader, and have a
strong understanding of a budgeting process.
*This role can sit in Ventura County, San Diego County or Los
PLEASE NOTE: In order for American Water to evaluate decisions
about new regulations, reintegration, and safe operating practices,
all employees are required to report their vaccination status.
To lead the operational functional areas (including water quality,
field operations, production and maintenance) within the state and
direct cost-effective, high-quality customer service and
- Develop operations strategies, direct, and manage the water
quality, field operations, production and maintenance for water
operations within California American Water's Southern
- Implement best operating practices to promote continuous
improvement, innovation and excellent customer service.
- Ensure that operational integrity is maintained, including
regulatory compliance in all facilities.
- Provide strategic and operational input to annual business
plans, control budgets for responsible areas, and ensure that
operational and financial targets are met or exceeded.
- Lead, motivate and develop staff in assigned operations
- Build shared commitment to improving business performance, and
develop both individual and team capabilities.
- Drive performance by linking business units' objectives to
company goals and values.
- Communicate a shared vision, energize and empower staff, and
- Work with the state president and vice president and
engineering staff to develop the strategy and priorities for
capital investment programs, and drive the effective implementation
of such programs.
- Support the business development function within the
- Assist in due diligence and operational analysis, and ensure
effective integration and performance of acquisitions and contract
- Establish relationships with and serve as operational contact
for political and civic leaders and other key external
- Support and assist the state president and vice president in
maintaining and enhancing such relationships state-wide.
- Strong management skills (planning, organizing, analysis,
problem solving, team working, employee development).
- Strong influencing skills and proven ability to operate in a
complex matrix organization.
- Excellent leadership skills, presence and the ability to deal
effectively with and maintain productive relationships with
employees at all levels (including represented employees), senior
management and various external stakeholders.
- Ability to lead, motivate and empower employees.
- Excellent written and verbal communications, as well as
interpersonal skills (persuasion, listening, cooperation,
- Extensive knowledge of the regulated water utility business and
- Knowledge of the applicable regulations, requirements and
trends impacting the water business, both regulated and
nonregulated, as it exists throughout American Water locations and
areas of new business opportunities. Knowledge of the assessment of
operating practices and the establishment of best practices.
- A minimum of 10 years experience successfully managing
operational areas in multiple locations with represented
- A bachelor's degree in operational discipline, management or
related discipline required.
- Full-time, Monday-Friday
- On-Call responsibility
Prioritizes & Role Models Safety
Plans, Aligns, & Directs
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing-
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity
(EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and
applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender,
gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion,
marital status, citizenship, or because they arean individual with
a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by
federal, state, and local laws.
Keywords: American Water, Rosemead , Veterans Preferred - Operations Director, Executive , Rosemead, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!